Finished: Navy Skirt
I finished the project back in April just in time to take with my on my trip to Kenya. While I didn’t get to actually wear it there (it was surprisingly quite cool), it was nice to have an opportunity to photograph it in a location other than my apartment!
The pattern is from Burda from 2/2010.
I spent a lot of time finishing the inside to make it nice. I know that no one but me will see it, but it makes me happy to have the inside looks a good as the outside.
I love the stripey fabric on the waist band and pockets.
Here’s what it looks like with a tucked in shirt.
Since I washed the skirt, I’ve had a few problems. First, the skirt faded quite a bit with the first washing so it doesn’t look quite as crisp as it does in the photos. I don’t mind it so much, but it does make it look more casual. Second, it got a small, inexplicable hole just near the zipper. It wasn’t on a seam or anything so I can’t figure out how it got there. It’s been sewn up so it’s wearable, but for a minute I thought I might just have to throw the whole skirt away. Third, the binding was really thin and it has started to come off in some places because of fraying in the fabric. I definitely learned that a wider binding is a must. Finally, I made a major change to the fit. I didn’t like how the waist band went just above my belly button so today I unpicked the seam at the skirt top/waist band and lowered it by an inch in the middle and then graded it out to the side seams. The fit is much better now (it sits just below my belly button now), but isn’t quite as neat.
Over all, I like this pattern a lot. I’m a little disappointed that it’s not as perfectly executed as I had hoped, but I think it’s still wearable. If I make it again, I’ll know to lower the waist from the beginning.
I’m currently working on a new summer skirt that I can’t wait to show you!